Host a Jewelry Party to Help Support PHH!
Host a party and share our artisans' hand crafted jewelry with your friends, family and community. They'll love the colorful pieces and will feel good knowing that their purchase empowers women and supports families as they rebuild their lives. Our party hosts are eager to make a difference in the Acholi Quarter, and this is a great way to help right from home!
Fill out the Jewelry Party Request form and return it to Project Have Hope to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hosting a Jewelry Party
Q. What is a jewelry party?
A. It is an event you host at which you sell our products to benefit our Ugandan artisans. We send you a selection of jewelry that has been hand-made by Acholi women out of recycled paper and promotional materials to assist you in creating a successful event. Then it is up to you to organize an event or party at which you can sell these items.
Q. Will it cost me any money?
A. No, we cover the cost of sending the products to you and pay for return shipping. For this reason, we encourage all hosts to set a minimum goal of $250.
Q. Where should I host it, and who should I invite?
A. Jewelry parties are great for:
- A workplace event
- A church charity event
- A barbeque
- At a school or university (in the food court, at the entrance of a school, at a school party, in dormitories...)
- At a high school or university game (football, hockey, basketball, homecoming...)
- At an awareness info session on poverty in Africa, HIV/AIDS, or women's rights
- A friendly neighborhood gathering
- A religious or faith-based gathering
- A family reunion
- A book club meeting or women's group meeting
Q. What is included in the package?
The package will contain everything you'll need to make your jewelry party fun, easy, and successful, including:
- A selection of jewelry: bracelets, necklaces and earrings, ranging in price from $5 to $20, is included
- The music CD Fabbian: Unite Up that you can play at the party
- Laminated information sheets that illuminate Project Have Hope's program
- Promotional materials about Project Have Hope, including a card explaining how the jewelry is made that can be given with each purchase
- Recipe ideas and other tips for a successful sale
- An inventory sheet to be filled out and sent back to Project Have Hope once the party is over
Q. How much notification time do you need before I host a party?
A. Two weeks advance notice to schedule a party is optimal.
Q. After the party, what do I do with all the unsold items?
A. All unsold items will be returned to PHH. We provide you with a pre-paid UPS return label so that the postage for you is free of charge.
Q. How do I return the money raised from the jewelry party to Project Have Hope?
A. Please deposit the money from cash sales into your checking account, and make a check or money order out to: "Project Have Hope" for the same amount. Include this check in the return package. Please do not send cash.
Q. Where do the funds go?
A. The artisan directly receives 30% of all jewelry sales. The remaining profits are used to fund Project Have Hope's projects in the Acholi Quarter. These projects include the enrollment of children into schools, educational pursuits such as business seminars, vocational training and adult literacy classes for the artisans, and the provision of loans to assist women in developing and expanding business ventures.
Q. Where, how and by whom is the jewelry made?
A. All of the jewelry is made by Ugandan women who live in the Acholi Quarter. Each bead is made by cutting a piece of paper into a long triangular strip and rolling it tightly together. The bead is then varnished three times before it is strung to make the desired piece of jewelry. The color of the bead depends on the color of the paper used to make it. It is not dyed or painted.
Q. How do I get started?
A. Fill out the Jewelry Party Request form and return it to Project Have Hope.
Make a financial contribution to sustain one of our many programs.